The Southern Historical Center is a comprehensive museum, research facility and historical and educational service for the Faith Community of The Salvation Army, the Academic Community of Students and Researchers and for the the general public.
Pilgrimage to Discovery
A 3,670-square-foot professionally-designed historical exhibit area interpreting the Victorian English origins of The Salvation Army in 1865, its arrival in the U.S.A. in 1879/1880 and its development throughout the American South since 1881.
Threads of Continuity
A smaller exhibit that traces the evolution of the varied international expressions of the Salvation Army uniform.
Salvation Army reference and referral connections:International Archives and Research Center(London, England)
National Archives and Research Center (Alexandria, Virginia)
Regional Historical Centers for the Northeast (West Nyack, New York), Midwest(Des Plaines, Illinois), and West(Rancho Palos Verdes, California).Congregational and Spiritual Life Archives:Corps(local church)histories and oral histories of the personal faith pilgrimages of Salvationists that provide researchers with materials to access and interpret the cultures, ethos, and belief-systems of The Salvation Army in the American South.
Research Materials: Artifacts, photographs, audio-visual resources, personal papers and official records.
Library: A small library of older and out-of-print Salvation Army materials, as well as current and out-of-print Salvation Army materials. Researchers can also use current and back issues of Salvation Army periodicals from the nineteenth century to the present on microfilm. School for Officer Training library in the same building as the Historical Center.
Swyers Memorial Reading Room: Finding aids, microfilm, microfiche and photocopying facilities.